Sunday, August 9, 2009

Fleur de Lis
















I have been so busy lately with parties and family that I haven't had time to post my projects on here. So, I thought I would try to get caught up today. First, we had a new family move onto the block and I have always wanted to make a housewarming gift for the new families. I am a military spouse and live on a Naval Base. I think it is important we stick together and I try hard to make friends with all military spouses that I can. I was an ombudsman for many years but now that my husband is retired, I miss that comradeship. So, this is my way of trying to keep that feeling alive. Anyway, I decided to make an etched votive and some coasters for this family.

I downloaded an SVG for a fleur de lis and created a cut file in SCAL and then cut it out in vinyl. I like to use the contact paper from the dollar store as my transfer tape. I find it doesn't stick to well but works great for a temp stick like transferring vinyl. I then found this amazing ribbon that has fleur de lis' on it and wrapped it around the glass. I found a votive for $.25. This project cost me about $2 when you consider etching cream.

I didn't want to just stop at the votive so I continued with a set of coasters to match. However, I really didn't like working with the fleur de lis that I found originally and then found another one that I thought was so much prettier. So, I cut that out in a chocolate vinyl and adhered to a 4x4 ceramic tile. I adhered cork onto the back and sealed the front with Mod Podge. I know a lot don't do that, but I find it better especially if the coaster will be coming into contact with water (condensation...duh!!! LOL) .

I wrapped these with the same ribbon. So I hope you enjoy!

1 comments:

jers52 said...

What a wonderful welcoming gift! So nice of you!